25 diciembre 2006

Summer Christmas

It's hard for you guys to think about Christmas in summer. It does not happen the other way around because since we're kids we wonder why does Santa Claus dresses so warm if it's 25º out. Why do we eat almonds, chocolate, nuts if I'd rather have a lemmonade?
In my town we don't get such a hot summer but I remember being little and watching in the news how the people from Buenos Aires were suffering over 35º temperatures. Every time we used to talk with my grandparents and other relatives, they would all say "we envy you guys over there!".
So every time this time of the year arrives, I get funny feelings. This is not my first Christmas in the Northern Hemisphere but I still "don't get it".
When we were living at home with our parents, we never celebrated Christmas, my parents used to say (and still do) that this is a religious celebration and since we are not, we don't have a reason to celebrate. Then, my grandparents were jewish so there was no way to fit this Christmas thing into their lives.
But then, at home, we didn't celebrate and of course, we didn't get the presents either but... my dad used to put the Christmas tree and even some cute lights on the outside of the house. So... I grew up in this confusion... the next day, when we went out play (in shorts and t-shirts) with our friends, everybody was showing off their new toys while I had a hard time explaining I did not get a thing. I'm not sure I understood why I didn't but I lived with it and it was fine. Then I guess my parents realized this could be a little traumatic for their kids so they decided to make up a new family tradition: instead of Christmas presents, we would get New Year's presents!! This was awesome. When all the kids had already forgotten (or broken) about their new toys, my brothers and I had brand new ones.
Things I remember about Xmas back home: the siren (??) of the firemen going off at 12 o'clock (the fire department was a few blocks away from my house), running out to the street to watch the fireworks, talking to the neighbours that were all hanging out outside, calling my friends at 12:05 to check were were we meeting this time to go out, "are you already dressed up or do you want to change at home" "can I borrow that cute dress of yours?", then we would go out dancing to the only club in town were you could hardly move but you would see everybody, literally... you could bump into the guy you liked that, obviously, was older than you and would't pay much attention to you. But now, with that red short dress you're wearing, he might consider a move... when the night was over and the sun had been shining for a few hours already, was time to go back home, I would either walk back barefeet because I couldn't stand the shoes any longer after all the dancing and stepping on top of them or... if you were lucky enough, the guy you liked would drive you back home, that was a good Christmas Party!.
I believe one of my first Christmas with gifts and all was when I lived in Canada. There you get the snow and everything makes sense. The happy xmas holidays has a reason... since down in Argentina we already started our summer holidays and we get 3 months off.
Well, in Canada you get bonus prices, I believe that around that date I saw my first Northern Lights (Aurora Borealis) and that was one of the best presents I ever received, magnificent display of beauty. Beautiful lights dancing in the sky and reflecting in the snow... I also remember that that New Year's (1996 - 1997) the Hale Bopp comet was visible in the sky so, coming home from the New Year's reaggee party, I stood still watching such a thing: a huge shiny green light in the black sky lighted up the night. We walked stepping on that green snow, you felt like this wasn't happening... but then the -40º made me jump into the car and put the heat up all the way.
What a messy post...
...just random thoughts and memories on this 25th December, living in a new life in a new city...
... trying to put the books back in the bookshelves after the great earthquake that my mind went through.

2 comentarios:

Anónimo dijo...

Beautiful remembrances! Me too remember that lovely and contradictory days.

Natalia A dijo...

I still don't get it either. Winter Christmas is so weird. This is my second Xmas in Switzerland, and I can't understand people going to sleep at 10pm! (reasonable if you think is dark since 5 pm)
I love people sitting at the table till 2 in the morning and then: going dancing!
Merry Xmas and a happy new year! (I'm so original)